Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New CRITTER CONNECT Site

Instead of following up my mostly unhelpful posts about Critique Groups with a final, mostly unhelpful post, I decided to set up an experimental site for making connections with other writers in search of crit partners and/or groups.

Please visit Critter Connect then come back here and provide feedback as to whether it's something that might be more helpful than yet another vague essay about how difficult it is to find a good critique group. Easy ways to improve the site are welcome ("easy" being the operative word).

If response is good, I may start looking into how to make this a searchable database on a real web page. Do understand that I will need to ensure the payoff will be worth the effort and, as I have a full plate now and creating a database will be incredibly time-consuming, such a database will not happen before summer.

Honestly, I want to be helpful with the least involvement on my part as possible. So even if this site is a good idea, it will remain pretty rudimentary, even if a database function is added. If someone ELSE would like to run with the idea, have at it -- with my compliments :o)

4 comments:

Kay said...

Do you ever sleep? This is a great idea and would be a fabulous resource but I could see it being a tremendous time magnet. Idea is great and I think it would meet a need.

Orlando said...

I have seen websites like this start out by having other people manage specific sections. This way you're not responsible for everything all at once.

I think it’s a great idea and much needed. Therefore, I urge you to move forward with it, since you had the idea to begin with.

Phoenix said...

@Kay: Funny you should ask about sleeping. Somehow I managed to not go to bed at all last night. I'd like to say it's because I'm accomplishing so much, but I think it's more that I just do everything so slowly :o)

@Orlando: I'll promote it, but I'm afraid it could become a terrible time suck. Still, I'm sure it will take some time to get off the ground, so I should have some time to think about how best to go forward.

Wilkins MacQueen said...

Hi,
Great site. Sorry I missed the kick off party for Extinct. Unable to jump in, I was tied up for a few days.
I'll keep my eye on it. I may still be a little green, unless there are others who are finding their way along and feel a little intimidated. Looks so professional, and it is a wonderful opportunity to connect.
Best!