Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Query Goblin

Most of you have probably noticed that comments and traffic really slack off once a query for the same book makes its third appearance or so on a site -- any site, not just this one. It's the reason most bloggers who critique dissuade more than one revision, two at most, with some sites not even allowing one.

For those of you who want to continue working on your query but prefer a bit less snark in your crits and are avoiding submitting your revisions to Evil Editor for that reason (because really, what other reason do you have for not submitting a query there, other than that you already have?), there's a new option in town: The Query Goblin.

And remember when we discussed query rewrites as a legitimate critting technique yesterday? The Goblin promises to do rewrites-as-critiques exclusively.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Hmm, this isn't the first time I've heard you lamenting a lack of comments. Personally, I like tight nit communities, but if you want to expand your audience, read this:

http://www.ftrain.com/wwic.html

jjdebenedictis said...

Thank you for the mention, Phoenix! I very much appreciate it. :)

AA said...

My comments slack off at the second or third posting because the query is usually better by then and needs less help. Also, I saw it first on EE and commented there.

If this bugs you, you might consider limiting queries to a first post on this site, which is usually a second from EE, and then one more revision. It will give you less wins but would keep the comments going.

That's just one idea. Personally I like commenting mainly when I feel I can really help, but not when it gets down to nit-picking details.

I'll check out that site, BTW. Thanks.

Phoenix said...

What's tough about a service site is asking it to serve two masters. Of course I want traffic to impress agents then publishers and then give me or a publicist a jumping off point later on when it's hopefully needed.

The thing is, on the weekdays I'm averaging about 100-120 total hits and 80-100 unique visitors per day. Right now I'm good with that and I hope the folk stopping by are learning something along with the rest of us. I learned by trolling query sites, so I understand the value in that.

But a good critique site offers lots of perspectives, I think. I'm flattered that people want to hear my opinion, but in some way I feel I'm failing them if others don't balance out my view with another perspective.

Maybe I just need to be more confident that my opinion is enough of a help to others that it, by itself, is enough to draw them in.

Thanks for the link, Matt. And AA, I understand your point, too.

JJ/Goblin: The one thing that hasn't changed for me is that I still think rewriting queries is fun. And maybe that's what having a blog is ultimately all about.

Wilkins MacQueen said...

Went to Goblin's site. Another super tool stretches out before us.