Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Interlude - Little Horses!

While we wait for more queries to come in (just one in the queue for tomorrow -- send more!), here are some gratuitous shots of the horses. The filly and her mom have been united with the other 3 horses now for about 2 weeks. The filly is still pretty small, but now that she has the rest of the herd around her I feel comfortable not leaving her and her mom locked in the barn at night to protect her from coyotes. The older horses may be little, but they're pretty fierce.

Cody (left), Ricky (middle), Bella (mom on right), and Bonita (foal)
 
Bonita at 3 months
 
Inside the barn at suppertime.

There are 3 stalls and a feed/work area in the barn in addition to the common area you see above.
1 stall is large enough for a standard-size horse and the other two are miniature/pony sized.



This shot from the back of the barn is from last year about this time. No snow here yet this year.

Today is my last official day at work. Having been on vacation/holiday for the last 2.5 weeks I can already tell there is not enough time in the day to get everything done even without a job taking up 9 or 10 hours. Must lower my expectations as to how much I'll be getting done around the place and how quickly I'll be getting through that loooong to-do list. Not that I'm complaining! Not by a long shot ...

9 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

You have a nice barn! I envy you the horses, but I don't envy you the endless chore list. I have those, too. I expect to get to a lot of projects during my vacation next week. Or so I hope. Of course with me getting a new puppy, I might just blow all that house repair stuff off!

Matt said...

Hey Phoenix, I've been reading about coywolves -- do you get those in your area?

And congrats on official retirement day!

fairyhedgehog said...

What gorgeous pictures of your horses!

I'm glad you're officially retiring now and can do the things you want to - even if the to-do list needs cutting down a bit!

Phoenix said...

WW: A new puppy will definitely take precedence over any mundane house repairing :o) I can't wait to see the announcement when he comes!

Matt: coywolves, eh? I've seen one really huge coyote out here, but I think he was an anomaly and they're all just coyotes. I haven't heard any rumors of wolves in the area.

Thanks, FHH!

Aside from a nice lunch and a little retirement gift today, I also got a request for a full from an agent. So far 2011 has started out well. Sigh. Just waiting now for the proverbial -- and seemingly inevitable -- shoe to fall.

McKoala said...

Aw, horsies!

Any weredingoes around those parts?

(Loving your retirement style.)

Whirlochre said...

Too small to ride, I know, but if you were to disappear into the horizon atop any of them, I'm betting you'd need roller skates rather than stirrups...

Robin B. said...

Wonderful everything, girl, including that last day of work part.

The ponies are scrumptious - I just wanna hug them!

Excellent on that request for a full!

Phoenix said...

McK: Hmm. Weredingoes. THAT must be what I heard yapping away last night ;o)

Whirl: Those little horses are about the right height for short little me!

I have put a 50-lb (22.7 kg) bag of feed on the backs of the bigger horses, but I wouldn't put any more weight than that on any of them. I am tempted to get a little cart for them, though. Put them to work around here!

Robin: Come visit! Because, yes, they really are quite huggable.

Wilkins MacQueen said...

Some nights I dream about my ranch. I wake up. It was a long time ago on a different part of the planet. I was living a different life. It was the best part of my life. Thanks for sharing.