Friday, December 24, 2010

Angels We Haven't Heard on High

Am I the only one who listens to Christmas carols and gets an entirely different picture of the heralding, chorusing and attending angels than those white-robed, haloed  little cherubs flying about and tooting on their horns that I imagined in my childhood?

Way too much Supernatural and YA Paranormal in my diet these days. It does breathe new life into those tired old carols, though, imagining Cass or Zachariah or Michael or Gabe or any of the other slew of angels I "know" far better than any of the Biblical ones doing the adoring schtick.

Of course, the fascination with angels in the media isn't a 21st-century phenomenon. I was happily quoting Twain's 44 when I hit puberty, and Peter Cook ruined Lucifer for me in the best way possible long, long ago.

May you enjoy your angels in whatever form they take this season.

Happy Holidays!

5 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

That's an interesting take on angels!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Matt said...

Merry Christmas!

Slush said...

I can't imagine Cass singing Christmas Carols.
Zachariah doesn't seem like the type to sing Joy to the World eiher. Heavenly hosts on Supernatural terms would be more likely to crash and trash the Christmas tree battling each other (what with the battle for heaven going on right now).
Yes.... I am wayyy to involved in Supernatural for my own good. Love me some pie and Dean!

Slush said...

Merry Christmas Phoenix!

Phoenix said...

Hope Santa was good to everyone!

So you're a Deangirl, eh, Slush? I tend to waffle. Commitment issues, I suppose...