Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Of Sample Synopses and New Barns

I'll have a new synopsis up for critique later tomorrow or Thursday. I've only received 5, and 1 a week seems to give everyone time to have a look and leave some good, thorough comments. I'm still happy to post a couple more if you have one to send over.

Meanwhile, I thought it only fair to share a couple of mine. For a short time, I'll leave up my synopses for Sector C and Cameliard Rising. Just click the links at the top of the page to access them. The initial blurbs about the novels are basically my queries and I've added the synopses at the end of each page.

Sector C is a plot-driven contemporary thriller-ish work. Cameliard Rising is historical women's fiction with strong romantic elements. You'll notice the synopses are quite different in voice and structure, just as the actual novels are. The synopses certainly aren't perfect, but they have proven serviceable, and may give you ideas how to structure your own based on the kind of story you've written. And, yes, they run about 900 words each. Sigh. I tried.

For those of you who come here to read about what's happening on the farm, good news: The new barn is done and the new fencing is up!

Here is how the barn looked while it was under construction:


And here's the finished barn:


Even though I only meant it as a "summer barn," it feels a bit smaller on the inside than I expected (it's 16x24 with a 10-foot overhang in the front). But what bothers me is that the crew didn't square the barn with the house, which is directly in front of it. It isn't off by much (the photos are from my porch), but it's enough to be noticeable. Still, it's a barn! And it's cute! And I have two new pastures for new friends. In time. Meanwhile, the barn is plenty big for the four little horses who will enjoy it for now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Divine Miss Phoenix,
There is no perfection in this world is there? The little guys won't mind, it is very cute, and if you stand at the side of your porch/window/front yard a tad, only you will know. And us, and we won't tell. Maybe a CEDAR or three on the off side for balance?
Great job in any event.
Charming place,
Bibi

LSimon said...

I've never built a barn, but in my heart I know it must be easier than synopsis writing!:)

Karen said...

Maybe this little excerpt (from a site that describes the making of Navajo rugs) will make that squaring issue seem less bothersome:

The Navajo believe that only God is perfect and that what humans do cannot be on the same perfect level. Therefore, they will make sure some little imperfection is part of anything they create. Usually, one has to look very close to find the imperfection, so it does not detract from the beauty of the item. On a Navajo rug, it’s the loose piece of yarn. On beaded handiwork, one of the beads might be threaded differently to ensure some slight imperfection. For many people, even though the imperfection is not noticeable, knowing it’s part of the creation adds to the charm.

I think the barn is very charming, even if it isn't perfectly square to the house!!

Phoenix said...

Thanks for the cone of silence, Bibi :o)

L, have you tried writing your synopsis inside a barn?Perhaps that's the trick!

Karen, I think I'll start referring to the barn as my Navajo Barn rather than my Summer Barn. Thanks for that!

Robin S. said...

It IS a a darling barn!