September is Synopsis Month!
We hates writing them. We hates reading them. We hates critiquing them. They are evil, evil, evil.
But. They are a necessary evil.
Do YOU have a synopsis you'd like critted? Let's take a month and get all that evil out of our systems at once, shall we?
I'll do a detailed critique of the first 8 synopses that are emailed to me at phoenixsullivan @ yahoo.com (remove the spaces, of course). You may start sending them at any time.
Here are the guidelines to follow, please:
- 1000 words or less (firm). Seems most agents ask for a 1-2 page synopsis, if single-spaced or 3-5 pages double-spaced. The sweet spot is 500-800 words. Your goal is to send a fabulous synopsis in that word range. My goal, if you take every word of the allowable 1000, is to help you pare it down. Or to cheer you if you come in under 500 words.
- Yes, they'll be posted publicly.
- I will post them in the order they are received every 3 or 4 days throughout September. The limit is to keep us all sane. As soon as I receive 8, I'll post to let you know we hit the quota (or by August 31, whichever comes first) and give you the order they'll appear.
- I will keep you anonymous on the blog, if you want. Just let me know.
- I will email you a couple of days before your synopsis goes up to warn you.
- MOST IMPORTANT: If you have a synopsis being critted, you agree to offer thoughtful comments on at least one other synopsis during the month. Scout's Honor.
And, of course, we (that's me and the commenters) are all secretly hoping that there won't be anywhere near 8 synopses submitted. Because, as mentioned earlier, we all hates reading them and critting them. Yet, it must be done.
I'll still post out any query revisions that come in, too.